Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Summer Vacation

This morning I was afforded the luxury of sleeping-in until 8:00.  It was the first, official day of summer vacation and the kids woke at their usual time, however they kept themselves occupied until I rolled out of bed.  I decided to make them a hot breakfast - a huge batch of scrambled eggs, toast and orange juice.  While we all sat around the table eating, I was struck with a bit of anxiety.  I looked at each of my children and wondered what I was going to do with them over the next 94 days. 

We do have our kids enrolled in a few activities over the summer.  Already, next week, they will be attending Vacation Bible School.  The following week, the boys will attend a 3 day football camp.  In July, the 4 oldest will be taking swimming lessons.  Finally in August, we will be camping at a Christian Music Festival, and then traveling out west for a Family Reunion.  So when I look at the summer in terms of "events" it certainly looks busy.  But the day to day happenings is what concerns me.  I do not want to see my children laying around, watching t.v. or playing video games the majority of each day.  So I am left with the challenge of finding balance for us all - a little learning, a little physical activity, and a little relaxation.

After breakfast, we rode our bikes to a nearby park.  We played for about an hour.  Then we rode our bikes back home, ate lunch on the deck, and then had quiet time.  The 3 youngest took naps and the the 3 oldest read books.  Later in the afternoon, we headed back outside and the kids played a variety of games while I mowed the lawn.  Gummi Bear helped me make supper, which I don't like to toot my own horn, but "beep, beep-beep, beep, beep" (Alvin & The Chipmunks Squeakquel reference).  I made a new hotdish recipe (diced potatoes, sausage, onion, seasoning & cheese) and rhubarb up-side down cake.  Even my pickiest eaters thought it to be o.k.  Honey Bunches said, "Mom, I think you're the best #2 cook."  Of course I had to ask, "Who is #1?"  He replied, "The waffle maker at the hotels where we eat breakfast."  In all honesty, who can really compete with a continental breakfast?

Tonight we are all gathered together watching the NBA Finals.  Sweet Pea is feeling a little under the weather and is curled up on my lap, watching my fingers type.  I was going to put my computer away, but she said she liked watching my fingers.  So I am multitasking for the time being.  Only 93 days left.  If they all go as well as today, this summer thing will be a piece of cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment