Friday, May 27, 2011

Everyday Blessings

As I was getting out of the shower this morning, Sweet Potato called out, "mom, I made your breakfast."  I walked into the kitchen and there lay two slices of cinnamon toast.  Something didn't look right about them and so I asked, "How did you make this?"  He said, "with the margarine."  I knew that could not be right because I don't have any margarine in the house.  I asked him to show me what he used and he pulled out the Crisco shortening.  Thank goodness I was awake enough to catch this!  On the way to school Sweet Potato began digging in his lunch bag.  He pulled out a fist-full of paper.  He told me he kept all the notes I gave him last year in his cold lunches.  Yep.  The tears started coming and I couldn't hold them back.  That small gesture blessed my day.

Yesterday, my neighbor, and friend, K stopped by un-announced.  She said she had been reading my blog and felt the urge to stop by and give me a hug.  I was so touched by her gesture that my heart truly felt joyful.  K blessed my day.

More than once I have been on the receiving end of someone's kindness.  Sometimes it is as simple as a smile when I'm crabby or upset, and other times it has been a lovely phone call from a friend.  I'm amazed at how often I have been blessed with exactly what I have needed at that moment.  I could share numerous stories about that!

Each day I am given the opportunity to make a small difference in someone's life.  Do I take the time to be "nice", or do I rush about my day, giving little thought to others?  Somedays, this is definitely more challenging than others.  But my whole point is that with a little effort, I too can bless someone's day, even if I think my gesture may seem insignificant.  At this point, I'm trying to come up with a really profound way of wrapping this entry up.  Monkey Toes is sitting with me and just said, "You don't have to be Oprah.  Just quit."  So I'll leave with these thoughts.  Be nice.  Take time to reverence life.  Bless others and be blessed.  Enough said.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'll have to go back and read all of your posts, Shelly. I have read a few and enjoyed them all. I love how you remember to enjoy all the little moments with your kids and husband. I forget all too often to enjoy the moment! And how darling that your little one saved every note you wrote to him. ;) You're a good mom, Shelly.

    ReplyDelete