Friday, July 8, 2011

Pumpkin is 2

Two years ago today, Monkey and I welcomed Pumpkin Pie into our family.  The past couple of years has flown by, as time usually does.  It has truly been a joyous ride!

I found out I was pregnant for the sixth time because, once again, I was having a test done for something else.  I was sitting with my doctor and she was asking me some preliminary questions.  One of them was, "Are you pregnant?"  I said, "I don't think so, but I guess anything is possible."  We continued with the questionnaire and at the end she explained that completing this certain test could terminate a pregnancy.  Dr. K, knowing me as well as she does, advised that I take a pregnancy test just to error on the side of caution.  A short time later, she came back into the office, sat down, and said, "congratulations.  You are pregnant."  I truly was a bit stunned.  Monkey Toes and I have always been open to the gift of life, so expecting another child should not have been a huge surprise, except that Sweet Pea was only a few months old at the time.  I think out of nervousness and shock, I began to giggle and cry (I promise they were tears of joy!).  I left the clinic and drove straight to Monkey Toes' work.  I sat down at his desk with him and said, "Well, it's not exactly the news I was expecting.  We're pregnant."  His first response was, "Who's the father?"  Now, before you shriek in horror at his comment, you simply have to understand his sense of humor.  It's just that this information wasn't even in our radar.  He did laugh, gave me a hug and kiss and said, "I really am excited."

I went into labor the night of July 7th.  My contractions were getting stronger, but they still were 8 minutes apart.  After a few hours of this, Monkey announced that it was time to go.  I didn't want to, but I know he was getting a little nervous and seeing as we had been down this road a few times before, we just weren't sure how fast things would progress.  The next morning, Pumpkin greeted us with a healthy scream, but was quickly comforted in my arms.  Monkey brought all the kids to the hospital to meet her.  Sweet Pea was a little unsure about this new person, but she gave her a kiss with a bit of cajoling from us.

Pumpkin is a lively and loud two year old.  Because she is the youngest, she wants to make her voice heard!  One of the many things I love about her is how she swings her left arm when she is trying to get somewhere quickly.  It's almost as if it helps propel her forward.  She has a bright smile, a growing vocabulary, a stubborn streak from time to time, and enjoys taunting her siblings.  When she stands up on the changing table after a diaper change, she always wraps her arms around my neck.  When I go to pick her up in the morning from her crib, she has a smile on her face and says, "la love lue (I love you)".  She is a bundle of energy.  I love you Pumpkin.  You bring true joy to our family and each of our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment