Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Lemonade and Face Paint

I was groggy this morning as I exited my bedroom.  The first comment came from Sweet Potato who said, "Remember Mom, you said we could make homemade lemonade this morning."  Yes, I did tell him that last night, mostly as a diversion from having to do it.  So at 7:30 AM, my four oldest kids and I were making fresh-squeezed lemonade.

 Each took a turn with the juicer and all was going well.  Then Sweet Pea woke up and came into the kitchen whimpering.  I asked, "what's wrong honey?"  She then threw up in the middle of the kitchen.  The other kids scattered - so quickly, as a matter of fact, that you would have thought someone was offering free ice-cream in the other room.  So our lemonade making was put on hold while the floor and Sweet Pea were cleaned up.


A little while later, the boys left with their Grandpa to go fishing for the next couple of days.  It's just the girls and I (and Monkey Toes) until Friday.  It's amazing how the dynamics change in our household when our numbers decrease.  The girls are very content playing with one another.  The t.v. goes off and their imaginations take flight.  Gummi Bear and Cucumber asked if they could paint my face (pretend).  They had paintbrushes and multi-colored pieces of paper, which served as their paint.  I offered to find a recipe to make our own face paint and of course they became very excited.  We found the following recipe:

1 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp water
1/2 tsp cold cream
2 drops food coloring

We used a muffin tin to mix and keep our paint.  I let each of the girls paint at least one other cheek, mine included.  We turned on some Go Fish in the background and had a fabulous time.  Even Pumpkin got to participate.  We will definitely be doing this activity again.




No comments:

Post a Comment