Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hot Weather Survival

Our current heat wave continues with the heat index being around 115 degrees.  Inside activities have become a necessity.  Over the last few days, the kids and I have enjoyed creative play - some of it quite messy.  We've made "goop" out of cornstarch, water and food coloring.  This was a huge hit.


I told the kids I would clean up while they washed themselves up and found myself playing with the "goop."  It was actually relaxing.  Although messy, it was easy to clean up.







Playdough has also been a popular activitiy.  The young kids didn't care much for the "goop", but they did spend at least 45 minutes with the playdough.







Snack time has also been an opportunity to get creative.  We made kabobs using strawberries, marshmallows, apples and bananas.  I thought maybe this would be too difficult for Pumpkin, but as you can see, she did just fine.

My favorite snack thus far has been our homemade ice-cream.  We took 2 resealable bags (one larger than the other).  We filled the smaller bag with 1/2 cup milk, 1 1/2 Tbls sugar, 1 Tbls cocoa powder and a few mini chocolate chips.  We put ice and rock salt in the larger bag, along with the smaller bag.  The kids rolled the bags on the table for about 12 -15 minutes.  We then snipped the corner of the smaller bag and squeezed out their ice-cream.  It was fun and refreshing.






                                                        
As challenging as it is to keep my kids busy indoors, it has also been fun for me to just play with them.  I am hoping for a little cooler weather soon, but don't get me wrong - I'm certainly not ready for winter!  I heard someone say they might actually be looking forward to the snow flying.  Well now that's just crazy talk.  I'll take the sunshine and the warmer weather and enjoy this time with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment