Thursday, September 8, 2011

Happy Birthday to our Blessed Mother!

Today is the day that Christians traditionally celebrate Mary's birthday.  It actually is a tradition that dates back almost 15 centuries.  This evening we had a birthday party for our Spiritual Mother.  After dinner, we had birthday cake (white cake with blue frosting - white symbolizes purity and blue is the color associated with Mary).  We sang Happy Birthday and each of the kids blew out a candle (I had to light a couple of them twice!). 
We then headed outside to our Mary Garden and each of the kids presented her with their gift.  The boys and the two younger girls gave her flowers, Cucumber drew her a picture of flowers, and Gummi Bear made a craft using leaves and twigs.
We ended our celebration by praying the Rosary.  Afterwards, I explained to the kids that each time we pray a Hail Mary we present a rose to Mary.  The Rosary is like a whole bouquet of roses for our Blessed Mother.  Cucumber responded, "then I think we should give her some more."  She then went back to the garden and prayed another Hail Mary. 

As a daughter, a wife and a mother, I find great support in my relationship to Mary.  She is someone who I frequently am asking for prayers.  Since she too was a daughter, wife and mother, I know she can present my concerns and my requests with great compassion and understanding to her Son.  I find comfort in knowing that I have a Spiritual Mother who will intercede for me throughout this life.  Mary will always lead us to Jesus.  God gave us a beautiful gift when he gave us Mary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment