Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Let the Journey Begin

Today is Fat Tuesday - the last day of Ordinary Time before Lent begins.  When I was a child, I use to think that Lent was just about giving up candy and eating fish on Fridays.  As I grew older, I still didn't embrace the Lenten Season, but out of obligation, I always gave something up - usually sweets and thought it a plus if I dropped a few pounds in the process.  As an adult, I now look forward to Lent each year.  I view it more as an opportunity - not an obligation - to DO something that not only can make me a better person, but can also strengthen my relationship with Christ, by entering into His Paschal Mystery.   I still give something up (some habits are just too hard to break), but I also challenge myself to intensify my journey with Christ.  It usually is increasing the amount of time I spend in prayer, attending the Stations of the Cross, celebrating the Sacrament of Reconciliation more frequently, etc.  To do this, I try to increase the silence in my life.  I turn off the t.v., I turn off the radio when I'm driving, and I give up FaceBook.  By the time Easter comes, I hope to truly celebrate, not only the Risen Christ, but a deeper and renewed relationship with Him. 

So tonight, to celebrate Fat Tuesday, I let the kids vote on our supper menu.  The winner:  Chicken nuggets and Macaroni & Cheese, with brownie sundays for dessert.  Monkey Toes and I will be eating our favorite pizza - Top of the Line with saurkraut from the Pizza Factory.  DELICIOUS!!  Just an added note on the brownies (referring back to my post of Deliciously Deceptive cooking).  They are made with pureed carrots and spinach.  They look fantastic, but the real test will come tonight when I serve them to my family.  I will post the results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment