Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Happy Spring???

Today is technically the fourth day of Spring, however, school was closed due to a snow storm.  I am longing to freshen up our home by doing some spring cleaning.  I've begun by sorting out the kids artwork.  It is difficult for me to toss their creations, but it simply isn't manageable to keep everything either.  I've taken down all of the winter themed crafts and those that have been hanging for 3 months or longer.  One of the pictures is a pink pig that Gummi Bear made.  On the top are some letters smooshed together.  When she gave it to me, I assumed she was trying to spell something.  Wanting to encourage her attempt at spelling, I proudly read it aloud.  "Piss for pig."  Gummi just stared at me with complete confusion on her face.  I smiled at her and said, "Why don't you read it to me sweetie?"  She said, "P is for Pig." 


I've also replaced my snowmen table runner with this bright colored, "lift your spirits" table runner.  I purchased it at a local, occasional shop.  It is one of the cutest, inexpensive, and charming little places we have in town.  It's called The Little Red Hen.  They have another sale this weekend, which I will probably have to check out. Even if I don't buy anything, I still come away with some good ideas.  However, implementing these ideas are another story.
 Lent is going pretty well for our family.  We have had a few snags along the way.  A few days ago Cucumber yelled that if I didn't let her watch T.V., she was going to go to her bedroom for one year.  At least 3 different reactions came to my mind, all very sarcastic.  I made the decision to keep my mouth shut.  She did go into her bedroom, but was only in there for about 20 minutes, and then she was already on to the next activity.  Sweet Potato has shed a few tears, exclaiming the difficulty of giving up two things he really loves. . .his computer and PlayStation.  I actually felt bad for him.  So I shared with him a thought that was shared with me by our former parish priest.  Father explained that Lent is suppose to be challenging for us.  It is not meant to be an after-thought to our day, but rather on the forefront of our minds.  Father suggested that we carry a nail in our pocket during this season.  When we feel like we can't continue with our commitment to alms giving, fasting, and prayer, then we should take that nail and press it into the palm of our hand, just to give us an idea of what Jesus did for us.  From my own personal experience, I guarantee that it puts my small sacrifice into perspective.  I'm not sure if Sweet Potato absorbed all of that, but I know it has him thinking.  And to be honest, none of us have perfected our Lenten promises.  We all have flubbed up already.  But what I want to instill in my children is this:  Start and end each day with Jesus.  Never forget His ultimate sacrifice and selfless love for us.  And let all we do, glorify God.  One of my favorite quotes is from St. Augustine who wrote, "God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us to love."  What a lovely and powerful thought on this "spring" day.

No comments:

Post a Comment