Monday, October 22, 2012

Thick Skin

I learned very early in the journey of motherhood that moms need thick skin.  Kids in all of their glorious honesty can be brutal at times.  I've heard, "mom I think you're pretty when you don't wear your glasses" (I wear my glasses 99% of the time), to having them pat my tummy and ask, "do you have another baby in there?"  My cooking and driving get criticized almost daily.    I have been told, "I liked your hair better when it was long," and "I like your hair when it's shorter (than it is now)."  I have heard my children say I am the meanest mommy in the world.  Yep - thick skin comes in handy.

Tonight as my family was feasting on roasted chicken and rice, seasoned broccoli, and homemade apple crisp, Monkey Toes asked our troops, "who is the best mom in the world?"  The kids chanted in support and approval, "mommy is!" all except Sweet Potato who amidst the shouts said, "Amanda xxxxxxx!" (his friend's mom).  And then with his sly smile said, "I mean you are mom."

1 comment:

  1. Ah too funny! I've been hearing a lot of the baby in your tummy....ah ya...no baby. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete