Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Dropping Like Flies

Yes, a virus has whirled through our house, sparing no one.  Actually two of the nine have been spared, but its latest victim has been bed-ridden since this morning.  As I steal away a few moments here and there to put my feet up, I've been reflecting on how to find blessing disguised as the flu.

1.  I am grateful that I was well enough to nurse two of my children back to health.  Then when I was struck down, my mom was here to help care for me.  I have to say this, not much has changed since I was a kid.  I still like to have my mom around when I am sick.  She knows what I need before I do.

2.  It was planned that I would accompany Monkey Toes on his last business trip, which happened to be over the weekend.  I am grateful that those plans fell through, as there is no other place I would rather be when sick, than at home.  Also, I would not have been able to enjoy myself, knowing that I could not be home, caring for my sick Love Bugs.

3.  Monkey happened to be sick on his trip, but returned home healthy, ready and willing to jump right in and help.  I am grateful for a husband who is willing to make these sacrifices for his family.

4.  I am thankful for our beds.  Monkey sent me to bed early so I could get well rested, while he slept on the love-seat, so Gummi Bear could have the couch when it was her turn to be down for the count.

5.  I am thankful for the beautiful past few days we've been given.  Even though we have been cooped up, we still opened the windows to allow the sunshine and fresh breeze to permeate our home.  It immediately helps everything feel a little better.

6.  I am thankful for Raman Noodles, Gatorade, and Saltines.  We probably should buy stock in these companies.  Although I wouldn't serve these items on a regular basis in our home, they tend to sooth and nourish sick little tummies.

7.  I am thankful for time spent together.  I realize that these are not ideal conditions, but none the less, we were all at home, with no desire to go anywhere.  This gave us the opportunity to simply rest.

8.  I am thankful for our over-all health.  These viruses may slow us down a bit, but we always recover back to full health.  I know there are so many who carry the cross of terminal illness or disability.  I am humbled by our blessings.

9.  I am thankful for our faith and that our children rely on it in times like these.  They asked to be blessed with Holy Water and anointed with oil while they were sick, giving me the opportunity to pray over them.

10.  I am thankful for these few moments of rest.  It may not be much, but it is enough to keep me going for the day.


"You know well enough that Our Lord does not look so much at the greatness of our actions, nor even at their difficulty, but at the love at which we do them."
                                                                                  St. Therese of Lisieux
                                                                                            

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see thanksgiving even through a difficult time. Many blessings to you all!

    PS. We've managed to have slight cold/coughs. No idea how, but thankful.

    ReplyDelete