Friday, October 12, 2012

Conferences

Last night, Monkey Toes and I attended Parent-Teacher Conferences for our 4 school aged children.  To be honest - I have a love/hate relationship with conferences.  I do find them important.  I do think it is vital to touch base with my children's teachers.  I do think it is helpful to make sure we are all on the same page.  So all in all, the efforts made to ensure my attendance at these conferences is well worth it.

As a parent, at least for me, I find it difficult to hear when life in the classroom isn't just hunky dory.  I am flawed in taking things quite personally, and when my child is troubled, so am I.  Hearing criticisms of any of them - well lets just say my stomach turns a bit.  And yet, I believe that my kids need to be held accountable for their actions.  I just sometimes wish it was only me having to hold them accountable and no one else.  But that is not reality, nor would I truly want that to be the world we live.  So, I attend these meetings with my head held high and sometimes my fingers crossed!

I am happy to report that all my children are doing well thus far (big sigh).  Their grades are good and they all like going to school.  Visiting with the teachers was insightful.  There were times I silently wondered if they (the educators) were talking about the same kids that live in my home.  Monkey and I heard words such as, "helpful" and "organized" (two behaviors I tend to nag my kids about frequently).

It was pointed out that one of my children has two areas of behaviors that need to be resolved:  trying to discreetly read a library book while the teacher is teaching, and visiting with "his neighbors" at inappropriate times.  These two areas of concern I can handle, in great part due to the teacher.  Here is what I admired about her last night.  She was able to separate the behavior from the heart of the child.  Although my kid shouldn't being doing these things, she was quick to point out his strengths; that he is smart, kind and sincere.

My kids were excited for us to return home and hear what their teachers had to say.  They each had a glint of pride in their eyes when we reported back to them.  I was proud too.  I can only hope that each day I send them out my door and through the doors of the school, they will demonstrate those virtues we instill at home.  If and when they falter, Monkey and I will be there to help them back up, to love them and support them.

No comments:

Post a Comment