Friday, February 10, 2012

Vocation

Comedian Anita Renfroe does a bit about being a mother of small children.  She talks about well intentioned ladies who approach her and say, "Don't blink honey or they'll grow up before you know it!"  She then turns around and blinks really fast.  I'd be lying if I say that I never did that - imagining my Love Bugs all grown up.  As I was sweeping the kitchen floor yesterday (taking care of the morning mess at 1PM), I was daydreaming about steeling away a moment or two just for me.  My thoughts were interrupted by Sweet Pea who had shuffled into the hallway with tears streaming down her cheeks.  It was nap-time and she had thrown up in her bed.  As I looked into her eyes, I saw the face of Jesus and realized that this is exactly where I am called to be and exactly what I am called to do; to care for these little souls. 

I worked in parish ministry for 15 years and loved it.  I didn't like all aspects of my job, but I found my work very fruitful and fulfilling.  When Monkey Toes and I were married, my vocation - my calling, became that of wife and eventually a mother.  Some days are really hard, and other days it is easy to count my blessings.  What I have discovered thus far is this:  God desires our happiness, but He also calls us to holiness.  Being faithful to our vocation leads to true happiness - not the fleeting kind, and our vocations in life help us to walk the path of holiness.  It was never promised to be easy, but we have been promised that we don't walk these journeys alone.  We are given the graces - the tools necessary - to help us along the way.  I can't count the number of times that God's grace has led me through the day.  Sometimes it is very evident and other times it is subtle.  These graces reaffirm my response to God's call in my life.  So if you ever catch me daydreaming about what the future may hold, please don't mistake me for being ungrateful.  My heart is where my faith and family reside and they challenge and encourage me, every single day, to be the person God has created me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment