Monday, February 6, 2012

Honey Bunches Turns 8





Today Honey Bunches turned 8 years old.  Again I have to ask myself, how did that happen?  At supper tonight I was staring at him; truly marveled at how big he is, how handsome he is, and how blessed I am.  We haven't done too much to celebrate his birthday this year, but we're hoping later in the month to have a few of his friends over to mark the occasion.

Honey Bunches reminds me a lot of Monkey Toes.  They have similar interests, talents, and wit.  Honey Bunches is a remarkable artist.  He shows passion for music.  He usually has a quick-wit response to pretty much any situation.  He is stubborn at times.  He gets into trouble at times.  He shows compassion to others. He is smart.  He is funny.  He tends to be quiet at home, but talkative at school.  He is an all-around great kid.

As I reflect on his life, Honey Bunches brings a smile to my face.  He walked the earliest of all the kids - 9 1/2 months to be exact.  While he was teething, he would gnaw on the corners of our walls, chewing right through the sheet rock.  We still have the "worn" out spots to prove it.  He climbed faster and higher than the other kids.  There was one day when I had placed him in his crib for having a tantrum.  I hadn't even made it down the hall when I heard little footsteps behind me.  Honey had climbed out of his crib.  He is the only baby who has ever mastered that skill in our household.  Then there was the time when I caught him standing at the top of the slide with a helmet and knee pads on, ready to ride his skateboard down.  He was only 4 years old.  I have no doubt he will give me my first gray hair! 

There are also the times when he is gentle and helpful with his little sisters.  He helps them put their boots on the correct feet.  He helps buckle them into their car seats.  He pours their milk for them in the morning.  He helps Gummi with her reading and quizzes her on her spelling words. 

Honey Bunches - I hope you know how much I love you.  You make me proud to be your mom.  You are a gift to your dad and I and you're a blessing to our family.  Happy Birthday Dude!  Love you forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment