Friday, February 18, 2011

Time to Make Some Changes

In having 6 children in 7 years, I have let myself go - physically.  I've never been an extremely thin person, but I've done pretty well at managing my weight.  With my first few pregnancies, the weight dropped off almost effortlessly.  The last 3 pregnancies, the weight has lingered and just added on from one to the next.  As I approach 40, I know I need to make some changes.  2011 is a big year for our family.  On May 1st, Sweet Potato will be celebrating his First Communion.  On May 12th, Monkey Toes and I will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.  In August, I'll be having my 20 year class reunion.  We also plan on traveling out west for a family reunion.  I have a friend who is strongly encouraging me to sign up for a 5K.  I'm not sure about that one yet, but none the less, I know I need to start taking better care of myself.  Today I have started a healthy eating plan.  I hesitate to call it a diet, because I don't want it to be short-term, but rather a chance to make long lasting changes in how I eat.  It actually is common sense - increase my consumption of green, leafy vegetables and lean proteins, eat more whole grains, cut back on my sugar in-take.  My mom is going to do this with me, so it will be great to have the support of someone else.  My goal is to lose weight, of course, but also to gain some energy and simply feel great.  I'll keep my progress posted.  Here's to a fantastic 2011, with a happier, healthier outlook.

No comments:

Post a Comment