Thursday, September 6, 2012

And They're Off!

The school year has officially begun.  The 3 oldest had their first day on Tuesday, and Cucumber started today.

Gummi Bear is in 2nd Grade

Honey Bunches is in 3rd Grade

Sweet Potato is a 4th Grader
                                                                                                                                                                  


Cucumber is a Kindergartner!
Pumpkin wanted her picture taken, just because.

As did Sweet Pea
When the older ones went to school on Tuesday, I was doing fine.  They were excited to go and were looking forward to seeing their friends.  The first two days have been a success!

Then last night, Cucumber put herself to bed, because she wanted to be well rested for her first day of school.  This morning, she was awake before I entered her room.  To say she was excited is an understatement.

We arrived at school and I turned the van off.  She asked what I was doing.

Me:  I'm going to take you into school.
Cucumber:  I don't need you to do that.  I can go by myself.
Me:  I know you can, but I want to walk you in on your first day.
Cucumber:  Really mom.  I'll be fine.

Yes, but I won't be.  Like a pro, she walked to her cubby, hung up her sweater and backpack, and marched right into her classroom and found her seat.  I called her over, since she forgot to say good-bye.  She gave me a hug and then hugged each of her little sisters.  Then she said, "You two have fun with mom today.  I'll see you when I'm done with school."

Then the tears came (from me).  They didn't stop.  As the little ones and I were leaving the school, the principal asked, "how are you holding up?"  And then I sobbed.  I mean, it was a really ugly sob that erupted from the depths of my throat.  And I think even a little snot flew out (sorry for the image, but I was truly a mess).  The principal hugged me and I felt completely foolish.  I quickly walked out to the van and buckled up the babies.  I cried most of the way home.  Pumpkin asked Sweet Pea, "why is mommy crying?"

Sweet Pea:  I don't know.  She's really sad.
Pumpkin:  She musta stubbed her toe.

I knew that today would be a bit sad, but I certainly didn't think I would continue to have this reaction each time one of my children starts school.  Cucumber drew me into all of her excitement.  There is no doubt she was ready for school.  I believed I was ready too.

There is something to be said for seeing a piece of your heart walking around outside of yourself.  I am having to let go - just a little bit - and allow another to nurture her, to teach her, to guide her.  The five short years she has been home with me has been preparing her for this very moment. And so it is that I send her off, with a slightly heavy heart, but one that is full of gratitude for this life and the opportunity for education.

A Back to School Prayer

Father of all mercies, we ask that you would bless the youngest and littlest of learners, the most helpless and powerless of persons, with Your infinite and loving mercy, granting them the strength to learn, concentrate,
and act appropriately towards their teachers and fellow students.

We also ask that You would watch over them, at home and at school and grant them proper direction so that they may learn of Your wonderful virtues.

We ask this in the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen


~ by David Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment