Monday, September 17, 2012

And So It Begins

We have the first victim of sickness of the 2012-2013 school year.  Poor Cucumber woke up this morning - very early - with a tummy ache.  I asked her if she thought she should stay home from school and she nodded her head yes.  I knew that meant she really didn't feel well.  As I roused the troops to start getting ready for the day, Cucumber wandered out of her bedroom and asked for a piece of toast.  She sat down at the table and nibbled on it, pushing it away after only a few bites.  She then went back into her room and reappeared a few minutes later with her uniform on and hair brushed.  She said she was feeling a little better and wanted to go to school. 

On the way to school, Cucumber fell asleep.  She awoke with tear-filled sobs, just as we were driving into town.  I asked if she was o.k. and she cried, "I think I'm going to throw up."  At that, Sweet Potato (who was riding in the front seat) attempted to cover his ears and plug his nose at the same time.   Honey Bunches was sitting right next to Cucumber and attempted to slide as far away from her as possible, which resulted in Gummi being smooshed up against the passenger door.  The only calm person (besides me) was Gummi who tried to reassure Cucumber,  "It's o.k.  I've thrown up in the car lots of times.  Mom will clean it up."

We were only a few blocks away from school and I made the decision to keep driving, instead of pulling over.  Just as we pulled into a parking spot, the depths of Cucumber's agony erupted.  At that, Sweet Potato began opening up his door, even before the car was in park.  Honey Bunches basically lept over Gummi to get out of the vehicle.  All three were in the school before I could get out of my seat and back to Cucumber.

The poor girl had tears streaming down her cheeks.  She so desperately wanted to go to school, but kept repeating that she didn't feel good.  All she wanted to do was sleep.  We made it home, she changed back into her jammies and crawled into bed.  She has had a few more "episodes", but keeps sleeping in between them.  She'll be staying home with me tomorrow, just to make sure this thing passes.  By the way, Monkey Toes, if you happen to be reading this, I drove the kids to school in your car.  Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment