Friday, June 22, 2012

Summer Days or Summer Craze?

We are coming upon the completion of what will be noted as the most hectic week in our summer schedule.  We did not intentionally plan it this way, but life happens and we try our best to make the best of it.  The kids are actually tired and would randomly sleep whenever the opportunity arose.

Sweet Pea

Over the weekend, I participated in the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life.  Sunday was my recovery day and Monday began the craziness.  By 8 AM (groggy as I was) we had to be ready to go and in the van to get to Vacation Bible School.  That ran until 11:30 each morning.  I then loaded the kids back up in the van, distributed bag lunches for them to eat on the way to Summer Rec.  The boys needed to be on the football field by noon.  Gummi needed to be in the gym by 12:15 for gymnastics.  The other kids and I would watch Gummi first and then head back over to the field to watch the last hour of football.  We returned home each afternoon around 2:30. 

Just for kicks, we included a night of church bowling.
Sweet Pea, Pumpkin & Cucumber, enamored with the ball return.

At the end of the evening after we had bowled, Pumpkin began to cry. 

Me:  What's wrong honey?
Pumpkin:  Bowling is bad idea!
Me:  Why do you say that?
Pumpkin:  Because I had too many turns! 

Not only did Pumpkin think that bowling 10 frames was too much, upon our return home she was trying to convince her siblings that this was an actual picture of her when she was a baby.
When her brothers and sisters doubted her, she stomped her feet and said, "I know what I'm talking 'bout!"

Thankfully, we had no Summer Rec today.  We concluded VBS with Mass and a potluck (For the record - children's potlucks ROCK!  Mac & Cheese, hotdogs, 2 types of cookie salads, pizza hotdish, taco salad and of course - Rice Krispy Bars.  Total paradise for the picky eaters).

Here are a few memorable "kidisms" from this past week:

Cucumber, as she lays across my lap at Football:   
Cucumber:  I'm a kid with troubles.
Me:  What kind of troubles do you have?
Cucumber:  Well, I don't have any school friends yet.
Me:  That's because you're not in school yet.  Just wait a few months and then you'll make lots of new friends.
Cucumber:  A few months?  That's terrible!

Passing our city limit sign:
Honey Bunches:  Mom, is that really the population of our town?
Me:  Yes.
Honey Bunches:  You know my stomach could probably hold that many pieces of candy.

Usual van talk:
Sweet Potato:  Hey Mom.  Gas is predicted to go down to $2.50 in September and oil will drop to $80 a barrel.
Me:  Umm, how do you know this?
Sweet Potato:  I watch the evening news (said in a tone that makes me sound like a complete idiot).
Honey Bunches:  Well did you know that people in Texas don't drive cars?
Me:  Really?  Then what do they do?
Honey Bunches:  They ride horses (said in a tone that makes me sound like a complete idiot).

Disclaimer:  For all my friends in Texas - I really do understand that many of you transport by car or bus and not by horse.

Just in case I didn't have enough to do, Sweet Pea decided to jam non-van-keys into the keyhole of my van.



But with all that being said and done, the theme of Vacation Bible School resounded throughout our home.  Gummi decorated our driveway as a reminder:
No Matter What, Trust God!

No comments:

Post a Comment