Thursday, July 5, 2012

And Then There Was One

Monkey Toes reminded me yesterday that it's been awhile since I've blogged.  It certainly isn't due to lack of "material", but this summer vacation thing we have going on is pretty amazing.  I find myself losing motivation for structure and leaning more towards the attitude of "wherever the wind blows."  I'm in uncharted territory here!  This way of life is short lived, however, as next week begins swimming lessons with my brood.  That will make for very busy days.  I am not exactly sure how much posting I'll be doing over the next month and a half (wait a minute. . . what happened to the month of June?!?!?!).  If time permits and I feel the urge to sit and type, then I'll keep everyone as up-to-date as I can. 

After having 5 children go through the diaper stage and eventually being potty trained, I have learned a very important lesson;  Their will.  Not mine.  It hasn't seemed to matter what trick, bribery, strong desire Monkey and I have exerted.  If the child does not want to use the toilet, very simply, he or she will not.  We are now down to having one in diapers.  Pumpkin will be three years old in a matter of days, and the girl has no desire to toss out her diapers.  I have offered her new underwear that she can pick out at the store.  I have offered her books, toys, snacks she can have while sitting on her potty seat to keep her entertained, but she won't even try.  So imagine my frustration when the following situation took place.


After lunch, I was getting the younger kids ready for their naps.  Pumpkin was in her room playing with the little kitchenette.

Me:  Pumpkin, let's change your diaper for nap time.
Pumpkin:  I am going to cook and poop.  Please close the door and I'll come out when I'm done.

The very thought that this child is now speaking in complete sentences and expresses herself so well, boggles my mind that she won't use the toilet.  One would think that I have this potty thing mastered by the time child #6 comes along, yet here I am admitting that this matter is completely out of my control.  Trust me, when this girl decides to throw those diapers out, I will be the one doing the "potty" dance in celebration!


No comments:

Post a Comment