Sunday, July 8, 2012

Pumpkin's Third Birthday


Three years ago yesterday, I was mowing our yard on a very hot afternoon, with hopes of inducing labor.  I finished mowing, showered, poured myself a glass of lemonade and turned on the t.v.  I began having contractions - about 10 minutes apart, but very steady.  About 10:00 PM, my contractions were ranging from 3 to 5 minutes apart, still very steady.  Monkey decided it was time to take me to the hospital, as he was getting nervous.  Me. . . I wanted to stay home a little longer, but knew that we should side with caution.  After a sleepless night in the hospital, Pumpkin decided it was time to meet the world.  This child has kept us on our toes ever since!

This picture was taken this past January.  We had brand new carpet installed in the bedrooms.  Less than 12 hours later, this is what I discovered.  Pumpkin found a marker and decided to draw on the floor.


Since we are just coming off of the July 4th holiday where we spent much time with family, we decided to have our own celebration for Pumpkin's birthday.  The boys were off to the cabin this past weekend (again), Gummi was at a friend's house, so Monkey, the 3 youngest and I headed out for dinner and a movie last night.  We ate at Buffalo Wild Wings (where the waitress asked if the girls were triplets) and then saw the movie Brave.  It was such a great night, even though it got late and the girls were really tired.  This afternoon, once the other kids returned home, we settled in for a lovely and fun party.


Pumpkin picked the menu of grilled hamburgers for supper and pink, strawberry cake for dessert.


Pumpkin wanted to frost her own cake.

The finished product.  Notice the frosting on Pumpkin's cheek.  Hmmm. . . .




Getting ready to blow out the sparklers.  I love Cucumber's reaction in the background.

A little Neopolitan on the side.

Willing to share, upon her sister's request.

All of the gifts Pumpkin received:  headbands (she decided to wear all 3 at once), a new suitcase filled with little gifts from her siblings- gum, mints, hair binders, lip balm, hair glitter, fingernail polish and cash.

It is hard for me to see Pumpkin, the baby of the family, growing up so fast.  She's not a baby anymore.  She is an active, outgoing, smart little firecracker!  She's bossy, but loving.  She shares her humor, and a little sass.  She often thinks herself older than she truly is, yet will curl up in my lap to snuggle. She's loud, yet enjoys whispering "I love you Mommy" in my ear.  She likes girly things, but loves Power Rangers.  She keeps me guessing each and every day and rarely fails to surprise me with her creativity and wit.  She can melt my heart with her bright smile.  I look forward to seeing her develop into the person that God has created her to be - but not too soon.  Although she has declared her big-girl status since turning three, she is, and will remain - my baby.  I love you Pumpkin!  Happy Birthday!

My favorite picture from dinner last night



No comments:

Post a Comment