Monday, July 9, 2012

Swimming and Swimming and Ball, Oh My!

Swimming lessons have begun for Sweet Potato, Honey Bunches, Cucumber and Sweet Pea.  From 10:30 - 11:00, Sweet Potato and Cucumber hit the water.  From 11:00 - 11:30, Honey Bunches and Sweet Pea take their turn, and then from 11:30 - Noon, Gummi plays volleyball.  I find it good fortune that we were able to schedule that way.  Everyone in and out in less than two hours.

The kids did great at swimming.  This was Sweet Pea's first time in the pool and she cried when the instructor called her name to come forward.  I gave her a nudge and the instructor grabbed her hand and led her to the pool.  I watched with great anticipation, knowing that once she warmed up, she would do just fine.  Within 20 minutes, Sweet Pea was dunking her head under water.  I was swallowing back tears as I watched her progress.  Also, I'm considering changing Sweet Potato's name to "Bob."  He could quite easily be spotted in the pool today amongst the great number of kids.  He bobbed up and down the entire time.  His group would be hanging onto the side of the pool, and there was Sweet Potato - up and down.  Up and down.  Up and down.  It wouldn't have been so noticeable, but he was the only kid bobbing.  Then it struck me later this afternoon as he was playing WipeOut on Wii.  He jumped up and down his entire turn.  He gets so excited and can't control his enthusiasm, that it just comes out in his jumping all around.

Gummi loved volleyball today and wanted to practice after supper.  Her and I headed outdoors this evening to work on passing and setting.  A few weeks ago, I tried teaching Gummi how to position her hands when passing and emphasized the importance of bending her knees; not just swinging her arms wildly at the ball.  She wasn't taking instruction very well from me (apparently I'm just "mom" to her.  The notion that I may know a little something about athletics must seem preposterous!).  Well wouldn't you know, tonight she was doing all the things I was trying to tell her to do.  She of course gave credit to the actual coach.  Eventually her sisters came outdoors and wanted to play with us as well.  Gummi bent over and was positioning Pumpkin - quite thoroughly I may add.  Once Pumpkin was "set-up", Gummi passed her the ball.  Pumpkin bumped it over to Cucumber.  In the thrill of having actually bumped the ball, Pumpkin clapped her hands and jumped up and down, very excitedly while yelling, "I did it!  I'm so good at soccer!"

No comments:

Post a Comment