Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My "Girls" Weekend

As a child, probably the two most anticipated days in my life each year were my birthday and Christmas.  Well last weekend was parallel to my birthday and Christmas, all rolled into one.  It was my "college girlfriend" get together, which takes place once a year.  Days leading up to the grand event, I could hardly contain my excitement.  I truly felt like a kid again.

The five of us gathered for a relaxed, fun-filled 2 1/2 days.  Each year it has little to do with what we actually do and more to do with time spent catching up and sharing much laughter and sometimes a few tears.  We tend to drink too much, eat too much, laugh until our cheeks hurt, our sides ache and tears stream from our eyes.  These girls are treasures in my life and I count myself extremely blessed to call them friends.

Friday night we celebrated with a Mexican Fiesta, reminiscent of our Spring Break Trip to Cancun, oh so many years ago.  Gina, our hostess for the weekend, cooked an amazing dinner.
Margaritas in Mason Jars




Saturday was spent getting pedicures and doing a little shopping.

Coffee in a mug made by one of Gina's artist friends

Pedis

No get-away would be complete without a trip to Sam's Club!


Saturday night, we ventured out to down-town and shared more fun times over a delicious dinner.

Here come the tears from our laughter


Sunday arrived too soon, as we packed up and said our "good-byes."  As much as I missed my family, I also know that this time spent with friends comes around too seldom.  Due to our busy lives, once a year is about the best we can do for now.  I came home tired, but refreshed.  I have a heart that is full of gratitude - for family that watched my kids while I was gone, to a husband who encourages me to take this time away, for the gift of genuine friendship which has blossomed into an extension of family.  I  love my "girls" and look forward to the next time!









1 comment:

  1. AWESOME! It's so important to take the time to do this. I'm so glad the 5 of you can! Sounds like a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete