Monday, June 4, 2012

Day of Serenity

Today marks the second anniversary of my Dad's passing.  When I awoke this morning, I hadn't given it any thought.  The date had actually escaped me.  My morning began with a cup of coffee on the deck.  Only one child was awake at that time and he decided to stay in the house and read a book.  The morning was so quiet and the kids were so calm.  After breakfast, Sweet Pea asked me if I would pray the Rosary with her - something she has never asked me to do with her alone.  We sat on the deck and eventually Pumpkin joined us as well.  Both girls sat and prayed the entire prayer.  I was thinking to myself how rarer this is, and then it dawned on me the significance of the day.  It's as if the kids knew I needed a little time to just sit quietly and reflect.  It was truly a serene day; one spent mostly outdoors, reading, pushing the kids on swings, lounging in the grass and looking at the clouds, listening to the birds, and even a little nap.

There is still not a day that goes by where I don't think about my Dad.  Little reminders of him seem to pop up almost everywhere.  I miss his smile, his sense of humor, his stories, and his hugs.  The pain of loss lessens with each passing day, but there is still a small ache within my heart.

Today was a day where I counted my blessings and found many reasons to smile.  So the following is an account of a few of the smiles brought to me today.

A hassle-free lunch of Macaroni & Cheese made by Sweet Potato

Beautiful fresh lilies from Silly's garden

Shared icees on the deck with my girls

The first fruits of my tomato plant

A song and dance by Cucumber

Conversations that had me chuckling:

Pumpkin:  I want to sing the ABC's.  (She proceeds to sing the song until she gets to X).  Wait.  I think I forgot AWE (R).  I better start over.

Honey Bunches:  Commenting on the Miss USA pageant last night.  I think I know why Miss Rhode Island is so small.  She comes from a very small state.

Sweet Pea:  Upon seeing the capris I was wearing this morning.  Whoa mom.  You got small pants on.  I think you should give those to Gummi Bear.

Cucumber:  Mom.  Do you know I can see your mustache?


 I am thankful that I had all of my kids surrounding me today, reminding me not to take life too seriously.  I think Grandpa was looking down upon us as well, sharing in all of our laughter and joy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment