Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Father's Day 2012

I am finally getting around to writing a little something about Father's Day.  Recently my days have been very FULL, not allowing me much time to record any of our family's memoirs.  Tonight, however, Monkey is golfing, the kids and Grandma are in bed, and I am enjoying a few moments of quiet.  So with a glass of red wine and my computer, I shall attempt to share some thoughts on the day we dedicate to Fathers.

My own father I greatly adored.  He and my mom made tremendous sacrifices for our family throughout our growing up.  He was a man of strong faith and high moral values.  It was his lessons on life that are one of my greatest treasures.  Although he may have been a little rough around the edges at times, his heart was big and his spirit gentle. 

When I reminisce about my Dad and Father's Day, I think about potato pancakes.  My Dad loved potato pancakes.  No distance seemed too far to acquire them.  His favorites were served at various Church fundraisers.  The third Sunday of each month, a semi-local Rod & Gun club hosts an "all you can eat" potato pancake breakfast.  My Dad would often remind us of this and whoever was available, would travel there with him to eat "one of the best brunches around."  The Father's Day immediately following my Dad's passing, our entire family celebrated by attending this brunch.  We continue to go whenever we can.  I think most of us go, not because we love potato pancakes so much, but because it reminds us of something my Dad enjoyed, not to mention yet another opportunity to celebrate as family.






And now onto my loving husband. .  .

Monkey is a great dad.  He loves our kids, he prays for them everyday, and his presence is felt by them, even when he's traveling.  He's teaching our boys how to golf.  He crafts with our girls.  He has taught each child how to ride their two wheeler. He balances my motherly-over-protecting ways.  He has taught me how to let go, little by little, so our children can experience a bit of independence.  When I feel overwhelmed or that I may just need a few hours to myself, he never flinches to simply load them up in the van and take them to the park or out window shopping.  He laughs at their jokes and enjoys hearing (especially the girls) squeal when he's captured them for a tickle fest.  

Each time I found out I was pregnant, Monkey rejoiced with me.  It never seemed to matter where we were at in our lives; changing jobs, struggling financially, knowing we would need a larger vehicle, etc.  He would always say, "we'll figure it out.  Let's just enjoy this moment."  And with each new life we welcomed into the world, he was by my side, crying and laughing with me at the miracle of life. 

I can't discount the sacrifices Monkey has made to our family.  He works hard so that I can stay home with our children.  It wasn't an easy decision for me to quit my job, but he knew the desire of my heart to be at home and said he would try his best to make that happen.  I have happily been at home for two years.  

His two passions in life are music and golf - both of which have taken a back-seat to family life.  Although he dabbles a little in both, he doesn't spend nearly as much time as he may like to. Monkey is a man of many talents, but his greatest accomplishments in life thus far (at least in my book) are his roles as husband and father.  And so it is with a grateful heart that I say to my adoring husband, "Thank you for all you do for our family.  You are greatly loved by us all.  Happy Father's Day!"



No comments:

Post a Comment