Saturday, January 7, 2012

Saintly Resolutions

I usually don't invest much time and effort into New Year's resolutions.  I think it's because I make small resolutions throughout the Liturgical Calendar (Advent, Lent, Christmas).  However, our family has decided to "adopt" a Family Patron Saint for the 2012 year.  I'm really excited for this - actually I'm a bit giddy about it.  I guess you could call me a sort of catechetical nerd.  I LOVE doing religion projects with my kids and this activity will last throughout the year.

First of all, I narrowed down our choosing of saints to about eight.  I picked ones that seemed the most compatible with our family - the ones we had some things in common.  The list included St. Anthony, patron of lost things.  I was pretty certain he would come out on top as we call upon him daily for lost mittens, hats, etc. Also on the list was St. Monica (patience), St. Thomas Aquinas (Catholic schools), St. Nicholas (children), and a few others.  The kids were given a few days to think about their choice and then we voted.   The Patron Saint for our household is. . . . . . . . . . . .St. Cecilia - patron of musicians.  I love this choice!  Gummi is learning piano, Honey Bunches will soon begin guitar lessons, and Monkey Toes is a drummer.  Music is part of our daily lives.  Everyday we listen to it, we sing, and we dance.  I tend to get my groove on when I'm cooking supper and it keeps the little ones entertained so I can complete my task with few interruptions.  One of our favorite family traditions has been attending a local music festival.  So St. Cecilia is a great choice for our family and I'm excited to incorporate her into our daily lives.

The plan is to gradually learn about St. Cecilia - where she was born, how she lived her life, which heroic virtues she displayed, and finally, why God chose her for sainthood.  Every night during our family prayer, we end by saying, "St. Cecilia, pray for us."  I would like to find a small, tabletop statue or an image of St. Cecilia for our home.  Having a visual is important - especially with children.  Then, we will have a special celebration on her Feast Day, which happens to be November 22nd.  This year, it falls on Thanksgiving.  After we stuff ourselves with turkey and pumpkin pie, we'll have to find a way to make her feast day special. 

My hope with this project is that my kids will get to know the saints - TRUE heroes, and that through their learning, they will view them as important, integral parts of the Body of Christ.  Wherever they find themselves in life, they have the saints who will unceasingly pray for them, especially when we implore their intercession.  So 2012 is off to a great start and we are blessed all the more with St. Cecilia's prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment