Wednesday, August 17, 2011

20 Years and Counting

This past weekend my high school class celebrated its 20 year reunion.  20 years. . . seriously, could it really be that long?   Friday night there was an impromptu gathering at the local bar.  There were only 7 of us who showed up, but it was a great night.  We were a rather eclectic group which made it all the more fun.  Saturday was the social and dinner.  Out of 126 graduates, only 30 classmates were able to attend.  Despite the small turnout, there was lots of laughter and fun memories shared.  We ended our evening by attending a street dance in the neighboring town where three of our classmates were playing in the band. 

As I reflect on my high school years, I had a good experience.  School was a place that I actually liked.  I had friends and I was involved in a variety of activities.  Our class wasn't close-knit.  We certainly had our share of cliques.  To be honest, I'm not quite sure which group I would claim to belong.  I sincerely tried to be nice to everyone.  I played in the band, sang in the choir, and I was athletic.  I was a member of the student council, wrote for the school paper (just 1 year), and was a peer helper.  I enjoyed trying my hand at new things and the more involved I was, the more content I seemed to be.

I consider high school to have been a launching pad for me.  It helped to lay the groundwork for the rest of my life.  I think it was a good indication - on a very small scale - of what life tends to be.  There will always be those who feel entitled.  There will be those who get noticed because of their good looks.  There will be those who tend to be laid back and will just roll with whatever is dealt to them.  There are some who will be sorely misjudged because of their economic status, and lets not forget the overachievers.  The list can go on and on.

As my children are entering school - 3 full time this year - I feel a little anxiety.  I had friends who hated school and looked forward to the day they were done.  I don't want school to equate resentment for my kids.  I desire for them to happy.  I desire for them to have at least one best friend.  I desire for them to be involved.  Most of all, I desire for them to understand that school is just a stepping stone to the rest of their lives.  Eventually it comes to an end.  Eventually, they will be responsible for defining themselves.  Eventually, they too will be looking back, sharing memories with their classmates about the good ol' days.  And when that time comes, I hope that they too can look back with smiles on their faces and a happy heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment