Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dignity of Life

Yesterday was the anniversary of Roe v Wade.  Each year at this time I give thanks that my parents chose life for my siblings and I, and that they instilled in each of us the importance of recognizing the dignity in every human life.  I am prolife.  I have always been and always will be prolife.  I believe that if society doesn't give a damn about life in its earliest and most vulnerable stages, then why is anyone surprised that society doesn't give a damn about any other stage of life?  I believe, with every ounce of my being, that the recoginition of life beginning at conception will lead to the resolve of many problems in the world.  Again, it goes back to honoring the dignity in every human life.

See full size image"A woman who sets her rights, the supposed right to privacy or right over her own body, above the life of another human being is saying that a woman’s rights are superior to human rights. She has put herself above the human race, she has made herself the executor over life and death. Is that a woman’s right?"  Janet Smith


                                                             

I don't sit here pretending to have all of the answers.  The act of abortion is wrong, but the women who choose to have an abortion are not bad.  I think often times they are misled believing that it is the easy way out or it is their only option.  It is important that we don't pass judgement, but rather, offer support, love and resources.  It is our calling to see the face of God in every life, from conception to natural death.

"Precisely in an age when the inviolable rights of the person are solemnly proclaimed and the value of life is publicly affirmed, the very right to life is being denied or trampled upon, especially at the more significant moments of existence: the moment of birth and the moment of death." 
                                                                                                                                      Pope John Paul II

No comments:

Post a Comment