Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Art of Food

I just returned home tonight from working with my sisters in catering a Seder Meal.  This is the third year we've done this particular dinner and each year we talk about going into a catering business together. Sister One is the chef.  Actually, she is a High School Consumer Family Science teacher and a High School Culinary Coach.  Her culinary team is competing at Nationals in Baltimore, MD at the end of this month.  She is a talented teacher, coach and cook.  Sister Two is a nurse, but when we cater dinners, she is the decorator and dish-washer.  My job is to help plate the food and serve.  It is a lot of work, but it is something that I enjoy doing and I love working with my sisters.

We've thrown around the idea of going into business together for the last 15 or so years.  It began when I was working at my first parish ministry job.  At the end of each school year, I was responsible for the Volunteer Appreciation Dinner.  At that time in my life, I didn't cook, so hosting a dinner posed quite a dilemma.  That first year, my mom and sisters made the 3 1/2 hour drive to help me host this dinner.  We had such a great time doing it, that it became our tradition for the next 4 years (I then resigned my position to move closer to home). 

This interest of wanting to work in the food industry stems from my love of food.  I don't think it has so much to do with my enjoyment of eating good food (although I absolutely love that part of it!), as it has to do with my appreciation of good food.  Trying new foods and combinations of flavors excites me.  Although I am no chef, I have come a long way from when I was first married and really didn't know how to cook.  With some practice and a bit of kitchen confidence, I can hold my own.

I admire Sister One who is a food artist - truly one of her gifts in life.  She creates and executes divine dishes.  Not only is her food extremely tasty, but it is beautiful to the eye as well.  I have learned from her to enjoy the preparation of the meal, but find that it is equally important to be able to take the time to sit and partake in it, especially with others.  My most memorable meals are those shared with loved ones.  Often times, I can't even recall what we ate, but I can remember the mingling of relaxed conversation and contentment.   I love when I have the opportunity to sit down at a table with family and friends and not have to rush, but rather to lose track of time as we sip wine and break bread together.  What I have discovered is that the significance of a meal is so much more than the food that is served.  It is about relationship.

Although we may never start a catering business, it is fun to dabble in the possibility.  I also look forward to the day when my kids will want to linger a little longer at the table, enjoying each others company (that's not a far-fetched dream, is it?).  For now, I'll keep reminding myself to revel in the family-meal-time experience.  It may not be perfect, but it is intended with love.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment