Saturday, October 29, 2011

Press "Re-Do"

Yesterday was a day that I wish I could press the "re-do" button, or the "rewind" button, or maybe, even possibly, the "delete" button.  My morning began great.  I dropped the kids off at school, the little ones and I walked to the park and played hard, we came home and had hot chocolate.  Then the day started getting tough.  I checked messages on my computer and found out that the father of a high school friend passed away.  My heart felt heavy for her loss and brought back all the memories of my own dad's passing.  In the afternoon, when I went to pick my kids up from school, my son's teacher met me at the door.  My son has been having some disciplinary issues, and yesterday was a problematic day.  The news left me feeling deflated.  It felt like all the wind had been knocked out of me.  I know he'll get through this, but right now, I feel a weight on my shoulders.  I'm just trying to figure out why these situations arise.  He is such a great kid and I'm fearful that if his behavior doesn't improve, that he'll be labeled at school for years to come as a trouble maker among his teachers.  Finally, as I was preparing supper, Pumpkin cried out that she was stuck.  As I investigated, I found her foot stuck in the spindles of a chair.
I thought it would be an easy fix, just slide her leg up and out, but it was wedged tight.  Normally, I wouldn't take a picture of such a situation, but as you can see, she really wasn't in distress, she was just stuck.  Upon numerous attempts to pull her foot out, I was ready to get either a saw or hammer and bust the chair.  My other children thought that was a horrible idea.  So I walked next door to our neighbors and asked for help.  Mr. Pat came over, opened up some petroleum jelly, lubed Pumpkin up and removed her foot.  This, however, was done to the tune of some good screams and many crocodile tears.  Once freed, she gave Mr. Pat a hug - a remarkable gesture seeing as she doesn't hug many outside of the family.  After our neighbor left, I shed a tear or two of my own - mostly because I felt a bit overwhelmed from the day.

The evening was truly a grace for me.  Monkey Toes returned home from a business trip, in time for us all to snuggle together and watch Heffalump (Winnie the Pooh Halloween Movie).  The kids went to bed, Monkey and I talked for awhile, and today is a new day.  The sun is shining, Monkey took the four oldest to my nephew's football game, the little ones are playing quietly, and I am enjoying a hot cup of coffee.  This new day brings a new perspective.  What is done is done.  I can't undo anything that has happened, but I can do my best at this moment.  My friend and her family will remain in my prayers for a long time.  My son will suffer consequences for his behavior.  Monkey and I will remain firm, but loving.  I am confident that he (and us) will get through this - whatever "this" happens to be, and we will offer it all up to Christ.  As far as Pumpkin, well, I'm actually laughing about it today.  This, I have no doubt, will be one of many predicaments she finds herself.  She is a stinker (I say that with all the love in my heart!).
This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it! 
                                                                                                            Psalm 118:24

No comments:

Post a Comment