Sunday, May 12, 2013

Celebrating Motherversary

Twelve years ago today, Monkey Toes and I were married.  It was a beautiful, sunny and breezy day.  We stood before a church of 300 people and declared our love and commitment to one another.

"I take you, Monkey, to be my husband.  I promise to be true to you, in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health.  I will love you and I will honor you, all the days of my life."

And then I placed a ring on his finger.

"Take this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity.  In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

Twelve years later, those vows are more powerful and meaningful than ever before.  We have shared an abundance of joys together.  We have struggled through some trials.  We have grown in our faith together.  I am walking this journey in life with the husband whom I believe God has chosen for me.  I thank God everyday that He chose me to be Monkey's wife.


_________________________________________________________

Today is also Mother's Day.  When Monkey and I set a date for our wedding, we were asked many times over, "Why do you want to share your anniversary with Mother's Day and opening fishing?"  I'm going with the answer, "I'm efficient."

Becoming a mother has been one of the greatest blessings of my life.  It is far from being a "walk in the park," rather, motherhood is more like a roller-coaster ride.  It is a joy and it is a challenge.  It can be entertaining and it is exhausting.  It can be blissful and it can be dirty.  I am certainly not perfect, but each day gives me the opportunity of a fresh start and a new beginning.  I thank God, everyday, for my six Love Bugs and our one little soul in Heaven.  I will never regret answering my vocational calling of marriage and motherhood.




"Heavenly Father, thank you for the gift of our family.  Enlighten our hearts and minds that we may live more fully this vocation to love."
"In our daily life and work, may we reflect the self-giving love which you, O Father, eternally show with your Son and the Holy Spirit."
"Let your love be evident in the peace that reigns in our home and in the faith we profess and live.  May our family always be a place of generosity, understanding, forgiveness and joy."
"Kindly give us the wisdom and courage to be witnesses to your eternal design for the family; and grant that the Holy Family of Nazareth may always guide our path to holiness as a family."
"We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God forever and ever.  Amen." 
Archbishop William E. Lori of Baltimore.  
I love you with my whole heart Monkey, Sweet Potato, Honey Bunches, Gummi Bear, Cucumber, Sweet Pea and Pumpkin!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary & Mother's Day! You have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete