Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Blame Game

Our hot water heater has been on the outs since last week.  It has only allowed one of us to take one semi-warm shower a day.  Then two days ago, we had nothing but cold water.  It's not in our budget to replace it, so Monkey (who is very handy) has been working on it after he gets home each evening.  Today was the first day 3 people could take showers without a scream coming from the bathroom, alerting us all that the water had turned ice cold.

When Monkey came home from work on Tuesday, he had tools in hand to remedy the water heater.  Sweet Pea, who is in the "I want to help" stage, begged her Dad to let her assist him.  Those two disappeared downstairs.  After I finished cleaning up the kitchen from supper, I headed for the sofa and called the Love Bugs over to snuggle with me while we watched some T.V.  Shortly after 7:00, Monkey left, remembering that he had a Knights of Columbus meeting at church.  Around 7:30 I heard, "Mom.  Mom.  Mommy.  Hey Mom."  I didn't respond right away, because Sweet Pea and Pumpkin often play house and one of them plays the role of Mom.  I assumed they were in character.  However, that sweet little voice did not waiver in her determination.  "Hey Mom.  Mooooooooooooooooooommyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!"

Me:  Sweet Pea;  Are you talking to me?
Sweet Pea:  Yeah Mom.  Guess what?
Me:  What? (I'm still on the sofa at this point)
Sweet Pea:  I'm helping Dad.
Me:  Ah, Sweetie?  Dad left awhile ago.
Sweet Pea:  Well I'm helping him.

So as any good parent would do, I sent in one of the older kids to check out the situation.

Me:  Honey Bunches, go check on your sister and see what's going on.

Honey came back and reported that Sweet Pea was in the laundry room.

Me:  What is she doing?
Honey:  She's holding a hose.
Me:  Can you please help her with that so she can come and sit with the rest of us?

A few moments later, we were all snuggled under a big blanket watching "Full House."  Due to a school scheduled two-hour later start the following morning, usual bedtime was not enforced.

At approximately 8:40 PM, Monkey gets home from his meeting and comes downstairs.

Monkey:  What the hell happened?

We're all quite comfortable and no one jumps up to see what he is referring to.

Monkey:  I need a little help here.  We have a problem.

So I begrudgedly got up and headed towards "the problem."

The laundry room had flooded.  We're talking up-to-our-ankles in cold water flooded.

Sweet Pea yelled at Honey Bunches for making her drop the hose.  Honey Bunches shared his disapproval for me who forced him to handle the situation.  And me?  Well I pointed the finger at Monkey who had forgotten about Sweet Pea in the first place.

The kids were sent to bed and Monkey and I began the long task of cleaning up the mess, which lasted well into the night.  Eventually, our laundry room was put back together and our water heater working better, although still not 100%.  I want to thank my lovely friend Lisa, who called me Wednesday morning and offered me the use of her family's shower.  So after I dropped the kids off at school, I enjoyed the luxury of a hot shower, which helped me feel "human" again.

Towards the end of our clean-up efforts, we were able to chuckle at the mishap.  All I can say is thank God for grace!



2 comments: