Tuesday, December 20, 2011

And the Music Plays On

Gummi Bear has been taking piano lessons since September and tonight was her first recital.  Her performance was beautiful and I could not be more proud.  Afterwards, I asked her how it felt to play in front of a lot of people and she said, "I was a little scared."  I couldn't tell.  I just kept thinking that my little girl is growing up. 

I took piano lessons for 8 years, beginning when I was in 4th grade.  My parents had "rescued" a baby grand piano and signed me up for lessons.  I loved it, but after 3 years, I decided I wanted to quit.  I shared my thoughts with my mother, who very wisely responded, "You can quit, but then you have to tell your teacher yourself."  It took me 5 years to muster up enough confidence to tell my teacher I wasn't going to continue.  Recitals were very difficult for me, as I was extremely nervous to have to perform in front of others.   So to see my daughter play tonight, well, my heart was brimming.  My hope is that she will continue to love to play and want to share that gift with others.



No comments:

Post a Comment