Sunday, November 24, 2013

Keeping Up

My kids like to listen to the Oldies station on the way home from school.  Friday, this station was already playing Christmas music.  What what what???  Had I been by myself, I probably would have been annoyed, however, my kids were belting out the lyrics and I found it endearing.  Christmas music aside, I'm just not ready for the rat race of the holidays.  I feel like we're still adjusting to the start-up of school!

As I have mentioned before, I love fall and I love Thanksgiving.  If I could extend any season, this would be the one.






I love the warm, bright colors.  I love the smell of pumpkin, cinnamon, and the roasting of harvested vegetables.  I love putting on a big sweatshirt, breathing in the brisk air, and warming my hands around a hot cup of coffee.  Most of all, I love that we are mindful of our blessings, especially in preparation for Thanksgiving.

At school, Cucumber made a list of things she is thankful for.
I am thankful for:  my fish, Jesus, family, love, food, school, home, my life, candy, the world, my class, Grandma, Grandpa, Mrs. E (her 1st grade teacher), church, saints.
I adore the simplicity and honesty of this list.  And guess what?  I'm thankful for all of these things too, even the fish!

Side note:  Freddie, the fish, has been with us since Labor Day Weekend.  Merlot predicted his demise within two weeks.  I am happy to report that he is just as spry today as the day we welcomed him into our home.  

Although the world is buzzing all around and pressuring us to "keep up" with the mecca season of retail, our family is choosing to move at a slower pace.  This week, our main focus is making coffee filter turkeys with the kids and finalizing our Thanksgiving menu.  Saturday evening we'll pack away our fall decor and put up our Jesse Tree and creche, in preparation of Advent.  Our goal:  to make sure that our beliefs are not just a lip service, but that we truly live our faith.

I recently read the article, Jen Hatmaker - The Christmas Conundrum.  It is very thought provoking and definitely worth the time to read.  It certainly has me thinking about simplifying our lives and the way in which we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, Emmanuel.

I hope these days leading up to Thanksgiving finds your hearts abounding in blessing.  If you are a Black Friday shopper, be safe, be smart, and please be polite!  And if you find yourself in a bad or cranky mood, make a coffee filter turkey.  I promise; it will brighten your day!



No comments:

Post a Comment