Thursday, April 18, 2013

Beauty Is In The Eye Of My Children

A few nights ago at supper, the kids were talking about their day at school.  Sweet Potato was sharing about his reading class.

Me:  I think your reading teacher is really pretty.
Sweet Potato:  Did you know she is four years older than you?

At this point, the conversation carried on as if I wasn't even in the room, let alone sitting at the dinner table with all of my Love Bugs.

Gummi:  No way.  Mom looks waaaaay older than your teacher.
Sweet Potato:  Seriously.  Mom is younger than her.
Cucumber:  But mom has so many wrinkles.
Honey Bunches:  No she doesn't.  Look at her.  He points his finger at me.
Gummi:  Well look at her eyes.  She's got lots of wrinkles around her eyes.
Honey Bunches:  I don't think it's alot, just a little.
Sweet Pea:  Mommy's pretty when she wears makeup.
Pumpkin:  Yup and when she wears her church clothes.

At this point, I decided to interject a story.

In my first parish ministry job, I was only 23 years old.  I wasn't that much older than some of the students. One of the first nights we had Religious Education, I was greeting the students as they entered church.  There were a couple of teenage boys who were lagging behind everyone else.  As the two of them approached, I said hello.  Then one of the boys said, "Hey.  We're going to ditch tonight and go to the Dairy Queen.  Do you want to go with us?"  His friend, standing behind him, slapped the back of his head and said, "Dude.  She's like the principal lady."

At this my children just sat and stared at me.

Sweet Potato:  My teacher still looks younger than you.

1 comment: