Sunday, August 5, 2012

My Big Date Night

Last night was mine and Monkey Toes date.  During the day, Cucumber kept saying that she needed to make us a "date" card.  She never did sit down to do that, as our niece picked the kids up early to take them to our County Fair.

Our big night out began with Mass.  Monkey took me to the church where I was baptized and received my First Communion.  I've only been back there a few times since I was a child, and this was Monkey's first visit.  When I was young, this church always looked so big to me (probably what I would consider a Cathedral).  However, as an adult, it is much smaller than I remember.  It is beautiful - very ornate.  My favorite was, and still is, the paintings on the ceiling and the Stations of the Cross that hang on the walls.  As much as I love going to church with my family, there really  is something beautiful about attending with just my spouse. 

We then headed to TGIFridays for dinner.  My sister wrinkled her nose at me when I told her where we were going.  She asked why Monkey wasn't taking me somewhere a little nicer.  Here's the deal.  I don't get to go out to eat very often, and I happen to like Fridays (their mudslides are a nice finish to any meal!).  So what may seem like a common place to some, isn't so common for me.  I know they have food that I like, so that is where I requested to go.  I had a lovely steak with a sweet potato side, a caprese salad and a glass of Cabernet.  Not too shabby for this gal!

Afterwards, we did some necessity shopping.  We figured we may as well get it done as long as we were in the city.  Our big purchase was a new gas can (please don't be jealous).  Who knew that an item such as that could make Monkey so happy?

We ended our evening with a stop at a Frozen Yogurt shop.  They had the T.V. on, so we enjoyed our treats and watched the Women's Swimming 4x100 Relay win the gold.  Frozen yogurt and the Olympics?  Who knew that could make me so happy?

On the way home, Monkey kept asking if I had a good time.  I did.  I loved the opportunity to spend this time alone with Monkey.  It isn't about what we do, but more about taking the time to spend with one another.  And when it comes to romance?  Well I'm pretty easy to please.  Sure, I like flowers and I won't turn away a box of chocolates, but it's the other things that mean the most, like Monkey playing with the kids when he gets home from work or cooking for our family on the weekends. Those things are more romantic than the gift of jewelery or a fancy dinner at an expensive restaurant.

With that being said, the most comical part of the evening happened while we were shopping.  Monkey wanted to look at the golfing accessories and I wandered off to the gift section.  I saw a picture frame with the phrase written, "When we kiss it is more than our lips touching, it is a meeting of our souls."  And then I snorted. . . . . . . . . .standing there all by myself. . . . . . . . . .thankful that I wasn't drinking anything. . . . . . . . . .because it most certainly would have come out of my nose or sprayed out of my mouth. . . . . . . . . . and then I heard Cucumber's voice in my head saying, "Give me a break!"

No comments:

Post a Comment