Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sweet Potato is 11

Sweet Potato turned 11 years old. . . . . . .23 days ago!  There have been numerous times I was going to sit down and record some thoughts about his birthday, but I always wound up doing something else.  So tonight, I sit here, by myself (the kids are outside playing, Monkey is working in the garage, Sweet Potato is at his uncle's house watching football, and Grandma is in her room viewing EWTN).  No more excuses.

Sweet Potato's birthday fell on a Friday.  I woke him up that morning and he smiled at me very sweetly.  As I was preparing breakfast for the Love Bugs, Sweet Potato came into the kitchen and announced, "Hey everyone.  Today's my birthday!"  Yes, I will admit that this little fact escaped my mind that morning, however, I DID remember to order treats from the bakery for his class.  I think that redeemed me!

One of our birthday traditions is to let the honoree choose a special dinner.  They can pick whatever they want (all carbs, all the same color foods, etc).  Sweet Potato had a difficult time deciding, so he asked if he could just dig around the kitchen and make his own supper.  Of course I allowed him to do this.  He found some spaghetti, sauce, and garlic bread.  His birthday dessert was Ice Cream sundaes.  He was allowed to stay up as late as he wanted (he made it until 11 PM).  His "real" celebration took place the following Sunday.

Sweet Potato shared with Monkey and I that for his birthday, he wanted all of us to watch football with him.  He asked if we could have Godfather's pizza, hot wings and chocolate cake.  He was pretty easy to please.

Vikings colors, of course!
Birthday gifts included The Game of Life, Apples to Apples, a loaf of banana bread, strawberry rhubarb jelly, cash and 4 tickets to a Twin's game.
The Twin's game tickets were for the following week.  Sweet Potato agonized over who to invite.  I think he felt obligated to ask me and one of his cousins.  Monkey and I told him that he didn't have to invite family. He decided to bring Monkey and two friends from school.  He was thrilled!



Sweet Potato is a great kid.  We often tease him about his coordination challenges and the fact that the two messiest chairs at the kitchen table belong to him and Pumpkin.  He may not be the best at everything, but no one can accuse him of not having heart.  His passion definitely shines through in all he does.  He loves to be involved.  This year he is participating in football, band, piano, school patrol, altar serving, golf and basketball.  We have had to set some limits to his enthusiasm, or else he would have also signed up for 4-H, Boy Scouts and guitar lessons.  He loves to "host" gatherings and few things make him happier than when he is surrounded by all of his family - Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles and cousins.

One of my favorite memories of Sweet Potato (not favorite at the time it occurred), was 5 years ago.  Sweet Potato was six years old and I was working as the DRE for our church.  It was the morning of First Communion Sunday and I was a little anxious about the happenings of the day.  As I was getting ready to leave for Mass, I received a phone call from my sister-in-law, wanting to know what I wanted her to bring for dinner.

Me:  What do you mean?
SIL:  Aren't you hosting dinner at your house later?
Me:  Well I have to work today and I wasn't planning on having anyone over.
SIL:  Really?  Sweet Potato called us yesterday and invited us over.

I soon discovered that he had called all the family and invited them over for a BBQ.  How, you may ask, did a six year old accomplish this?  Well, hung on the wall by our telephone, were family members phone numbers.  Enjoying a good party, Sweet Potato decided to throw a gathering himself.  The family just assumed that Monkey and I knew about this.  I left for work that morning with a list of instructions for Monkey Toes:  tidy up the house, go grocery shopping for meat and other items, and stay calm.  Needless to say, we had a party at our house later that day.  Spontaneity worked well for us, or rather, it worked well for Sweet Potato!

Sweet Potato bar tending with my cousin at a family reunion camp out.  Ever the host is he!


So to my oldest Love Bug, Happy Birthday!  You are such a blessing to us.  I am proud of the young man you are becoming and the heart with which you do so many things.  Know that you will always have a piece of my heart.  I love  you!


No comments:

Post a Comment