Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mother's Day Review

My lovely niece graduated from college this past weekend.  My mom, sisters and I all rode together to the commencement and stayed overnight.  Our plan was to attend Mass on Saturday evening and have a leisurely Sunday morning; sleep in, go out for brunch somewhere, and take our time getting back home.  Despite our best efforts, our bodies woke up well before we had hoped, and we found ourselves back on the rode by 9 AM.  I had made the comment, "for what reason are we rushing home?"  No sooner had I asked this question than I received a text message from Monkey Toes.


My children were all lined up in front of the grotto at our church.  I couldn't get home fast enough after that.

When I arrived home and walked through the door, my kids went ballistic.  They were jumping up and down and shouting and hanging on me (keep in mind I was gone for one night).  Cucumber grabbed my hand and led me to the kitchen table, which was filled with small treasures, all waiting for me to unwrap them.

Here were the gifts from my children.


Sweet Potato gave me the heart frame.  Honey Bunches gave me the Holly Hobbie "Mother's Day 1974" decorative plate, the vase and the pitcher with a chipped spout.  He also wrapped up the Christmas tin and the loon tin.  Gummi gave me the square foam blocks, which she painted happy faces.  Cucumber gave me the angel ring holder and a Precious Moments mug that reads, "Congratulations Graduate."  Sweet Pea and Pumpkin each gave me a kitchen timer - one red and one white.

I had to ask, "So where did you all find such lovely gifts?"

Honey Bunches:  Our neighbors had a garage sale yesterday.  When I saw the plate I knew it would be the perfect Mother's Day gift for you.

It's not possible to love my kids, or my gifts, more.

The Love Bugs had also been busy in school making Mother's Day gifts for me.


Sweet Potato made me the paper vase with the coffee filter flower.  He wrote down some of my characteristics.  Honey Bunches class put together a cookbook.  Each student submitted their favorite recipe in their own writing.  Gummi made me the clay angel, the watering can card, which contained a flower seed packet, and the begonia.  Cucumber made me the bracelet and a coupon book, good for hugs, kisses, foot rubs and chores.

These gifts warmed my heart.

Continuing on with our day, we headed to a neighboring town for a little shopping, a little playing, and some good eats.

Shopping at Menards

Playing at one of the two playgrounds we visited.  All six are on the tire swings.  
This contraption got a little carried away, as children were bouncing off of it.  It didn't help that Monkey was the main culprit.

We ended our day by going out to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings and then to the DQ for special treats.

The only thing that could have made the day more perfect, was if I could have attended Mass with my family.  That, in all honesty, is the highlight to my week.

Mother's Day would not be complete without a shout-out to my own mom.


My mom is a beautiful woman, who has taught me so much in this life.  She has led and nurtured by example.  I count myself blessed to spend the time I do with her and to have my kids growing up knowing and loving their Grandma.

Thank you Mom for all you have done and continue to do for us.  We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment