Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Visit To Children's



One week ago today, Cucumber had an appointment at the Children's Hospital and Clinic in Minneapolis.  She has had a couple of UTIs, and due to her age and the frequency of these infections, she was referred to the "experts" for further testing.  Monkey was out of town on business, so Silly graciously took the day off of work to accompany us.  Although I was confident that all would turn out fine, this visit brought back memories of when Cucumber was only 5 weeks old and was hospitalized at Children's for RSV.  I was very grateful and thankful for Silly's moral support during this trip.

Cucumber awaiting the ultrasound


Her prize from the ultrasound

Cucumber had a total of three appointments throughout the day.

Here, Cucumber is prepping her mask for the next procedure.  She picked cotton candy flavored lip balm, which she smeared on the inside of her mask.
The lovely hospital gown and robe
Cucumber was a champ during the procedure.  I was thankful that I could stay in the room with her.

Her prize for doing so well
Next was lunch.

Cucumber had been fasting since 6 AM, so she was definitely ready to eat by this time.

Silly brought a movie for Cucumber to watch while we waited



Up next was the consult.  Cucumber and her new buddies had their blood pressure checked.


Cucumber and the doctor are looking at her scans
One of the many pieces of artwork at the hospital.  Cucumber loved this one!
All of Cucumber's tests came out well.  We were sent home with a very do-able plan to keep her healthy.  I also want to comment on what a remarkable place Children's Hospital is and what a blessing they are to kids and their families.  The minute we walked through the door, I felt at peace.  From the first person that greeted us, to the nurses and doctors, all were very friendly and they love kids.  I was impressed with how the employees talked with Cucumber - often times first before greeting me.  They explained things to her at six years old, in a very concise and clear way.  She wasn't scared.  That, in and of itself, was very encouraging to me.

I am thankful that we have a facility such as this so close to home.  I am thankful that so many of the men and women who work there have answered God's call for their lives in serving in the medical field and more specifically, working with children.  And I am thankful for the health of my own children.  It is certainly a gift to be treasured.

No comments:

Post a Comment