Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Mall

It was recently discovered that Pumpkin was in dire need of a new pair of tennis shoes.  Hand-me-downs are split between the two youngest, as they are currently the same size (actually Pumpkin weighs 3 more pounds than Sweet Pea).  Grandma suggested we go to the Mall in search of new shoes. 

The Mall - I shudder at the mere idea.  I have never really enjoyed shopping.  When I do venture out into the wild (aka Mall territory), it is usually due to necessity.  I don't find those trips "fun" and I NEVER go there to just kill time.  My ideal Mall experience (just trying to stay positive here) is finding some hot coffee to drink and maybe a muffin, and then searching out an unoccupied bench in the midst of all the hustle and bustle.  Then I kick back and amuse myself with people watching.  It can actually be quite entertaining.

Grandma, the 3 youngest and I went to the Mall on a Wednesday.  The parking lot didn't look too intimidating, as not many people were there at that hour.  We walked into the first store and there was a sales woman anxiously waiting to help us.  She only had two styles of shoes in Pumpkin's size - which I was actually thankful.  I'm all about simplicity.  We left the decision up to Pumpkin - either the white shoe with a pink swoosh or the bright pink with orange accents.  Can you guess which one the two year old chose?  Of course the brightest.  She was thrilled, as was I.  I think we spent a total of 15 minutes in that store.

It was getting close to lunch time and Grandma suggested we head to the Food Court.  The girls were loving the Mall environment.  Each store we passed, one of them would squeal at something displayed in the window.  We passed the venue where some lady has some sort of secret.  There was a display of a scantly clad woman.  Cucumber exclaimed, "Mom - look at that pretty lady!"  Ugh!!!  I think at that point I started to get hives.  Each store we passed had a different song blaring through its door.  Everything seemed magnified and over stimulated.  Luckily, we found a nice quiet spot in the Food Court and shared a lovely lunch together.

My shopping venues have greatly simplified over the years, as have my shopping needs.  I no longer have a closet full of shoes.  I no longer buy a new outfit for each upcoming event.  When I am out in the stores, I generally think of what the kids need.  It's actually more enjoyable shopping for them.  My favorite places to shop are Thrift Stores.  There are two semi-local ones that I frequent about once a month.  I have found school uniforms for .50.  I bought myself a brand new pair of tennis shoes for $5.  Last summer, I bought all of my vacation clothes for the grand total of $9.  One of the stores has a .25 kids clothes day - yippee!  To add to my excitement, there is a Thrift Store opening up in our town this Tuesday.  It might be dangerous to have one so close.  Part of the fun is in the find.  I don't always walk away with something in my hand.  However, when I do find deal, it is very edifying. 

With raising four girls, I'm pretty sure The Mall will be an inevitable destination in the future.  Thankfully, we live a distance away from the wild.  Hopefully my girls will catch on to my people watching skills and find that more enjoyable than actually shopping.  Then again, they do have a couple of aunts and cousins who love to shop.  Maybe I can promote that as "family bonding". 

Pumpkin sporting her new shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment