Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Feasts & Miracles

Our Liturgical Calendar is filled with feast days, which I happen to love.  It helps to remind me of life outside of myself.  Last Friday was the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary.  As Catholics, the most perfect prayer we have is the Mass and the prayers associated with the Mass.  The next most powerful prayer we have is the Rosary. As I was listening to the radio on Friday, people were calling in, sharing their experiences of the Rosary.  Some stories were quite remarkable.  It gave me the opportunity to reflect on my own "miracles" of the Rosary.  One experience stood out for me.

One evening, last winter, Monkey Toes came home from work and said that we had no money until payday, which was still two weeks out.  Knowing that I would need gas and groceries, I felt a bit panicked.  I went into our bedroom and prayed my Rosary.  I asked our Blessed Mother to pray for our situation, but most of all that I would not lose faith that God would provide for us.  The next morning, I loaded the kids in the van to take them to school.  When I turned the ignition, the gas light came on.  I turned to my kids and said, "we need to pray that we will not run out of gas today.  Let's say a Hail Mary."  I needed to drive 40 miles round trip.  My kids obliged (they're quite used to me making requests such as this).  As I drove to school, everyone was very quiet.  At the ten mile mark, Gummi Bear whispered from the second row, "Mom, the gas light went off."  It truly did.  I felt relieved, but still was worried about having to make the same trip later that afternoon (go ahead, call me a Doubting Thomas!).  However, upon my return home, I picked up the mail.  There, sitting in our mailbox was a check.  It was money we knew was coming, but weren't expecting it for another ten days and it was for a greater amount than we had anticipated.  It was enough to get us through payday.

I could probably attribute this experience to a number of factors, but in my heart of heart, I believe that God worked a miracle.  I went to His mother for help and He held and carried my family.  "Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.  Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment